Thermal conduction pack
Study conduction of heat and calculate the coefficient of heat conduction for a variety of materials. Gives good comparative results between groups and lessons.
The packs contents are
- The Thermal Conduction apparatus: A power resistor forms the heating element in an aluminum unit which can accommodate metal conductivity rods. When the resistor is connected to a low d.c supply of power the heat produced is transferred to the rod.
- Three fast response Temperature sensors that have high thermal transfer. These can be positioned at different points on a rod at set distances so that thermal conduction along the rod can be investigated and temperature change over time recorded.
- A 6 V regulated DC mains power supply and adapter suitable for fixed temperature work (e.g. comparison of conduction in a metal rod). See More Info.
Supplied with three different metal rods (copper, iron and aluminum). Can accommodate other metal conductivity rods (3.3 mm diameter).
For variable temperature work (e.g. monitoring voltage and current and therefore the power consumed) power to the heater can be supplied using a low voltage DC laboratory power supply capable of being limited to 8 V max at 1 A (maximum).
The Lascells Thermal conduction apparatus consists of
- Heater with 4 mm connecting leads and slot for conductivity rods
- Copper, iron and aluminum rods, 30 cm x 3.3 mm
- Insulation sleeve
- Rubber sleeves to hold Temperature sensors against rods.
The fast response Temperature sensors are extremely responsive as they feature an exposed thermistor. The thermistor wires are covered by highly flexible heat-shrink tubing. They are NOT recommended for use with laboratory chemicals, nor should it be placed in a direct flame or on a hot plate.
The power supply is 6 V regulated dc UK mains power supply, able to supply 2000 mA with a positive centre and negative outer pin. The adapter converts connection of this power supply to 4 mm posts. Makes a convenient fixed voltage power supply for many activities and apparatus.